Starting sometime in 2015, Serpent & Co. was created as a UK & US clothing brand co-founded by Ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria along with co-owner Tim Leftwich! And you wanna know the best part? All the clothes are inspired by rock & roll!
We were lucky enough to catch up with Tim Leftwich and chat about how the creative process of starting Serpent & Co. was like, the brand's designs, Warped Tour, and of course, the supportive customers! Check out the interview below to find out all that and more.
1. How did the name and logo for “Serpent & Co.” come about? Is there a specific meaning behind it?
Tim: The original conversation about our brand name was Ben calling me and saying he wanted to call it something bad-ass and he thought a Serpent pretty much summed it up. I just added the & Co to just give a smart twist on the name. We actually worked with a really great design team on the logo so it you closely you can see the Serpent head, then there is an '&' on it's side in the middle and the tail forms a loose 'Co'. So we put a lot of effort into it.
2. On the About Us section of your website it says, “Serpent & Co. strives to become a brand that creates unique, high quality menswear and womenswear.” What inspired you and Ben to want to get involved in creating a “unique” clothing line?
Tim: We both love fashion and music, maybe a bit too much, but there are so many brands being started all the time these day so you have to do something special to stand out. We didn't just want to be another t-shirt brand that releases a couple cool designs and fades away. We wanted to make something so amazing that you can't help but come back for more!
3. The Got Ink? Tee and Skulls Tee are two of my favorite shirts on the website. What was the process like getting or creating those designs?
Tim: So I originally came up with a few versions for both of those tees and was batting the ideas back and forth with Ben until we really nailed it! The skulls tee was all about creating something fashionable that had a bit of a dark twist to it. The Got Ink? Tee was literally just us having some fun with the idea of ink and tattoos. I mean let's face it... we just created the greatest pun ever in an illustration!
4. What's it like seeing people wear what you created?
Tim: It's pretty awesome. The support for the brand has been incredible so to see people wearing it out and about is the best thing we could ask for!
5. Would you ever let a fan make a design for Serpent & Co.? Why or why not?
Tim: Why the hell not! I'd definitely like to see what people come up with. I'm sure at some point in the future we might do something like that... but only if people promise to make something badass!
6. Was there a time that a customer recognized you and expressed to you how they felt about the brand? If so, what did they say and how did it make you feel?
Tim: Let's be real here...Ben gets recognized all the time obviously so I'm 100% sure people have said they love the brand to him. It hasn't happened to me yet, but there's time ;)
7. Do you know what it's like for Ben to be working with Serpent & Co. compared to his last clothing line, Ben Bruce Clothing (BBC)? Was there a reason for getting involved in a new line while the other still exists? Because both are awesome!
Tim: I'm answering this for him and he thinks Serpent & Co. is the best thing that has ever happened in his entire life.
8. How has the brand grown compared to when you first started?
Tim: It's grown massively in a really short space of time. We're going to be on Warped Tour all this Summer, we're making preparations to move into stores, and more and more people are wearing the brand everyday.
9. We're excited that Serpent & Co. will be at Warped Tour! Is it true that the brand will be attending all the dates? If not, which will Serpent & Co. be attending?
Tim: Providing we don't run into any issues (and we sincerely hope we won't!) then we will indeed be on the entire Warped Tour. We won't be selling at Hartford, CT, but we will still be hanging around at the venue.
10. We saw that Serpent & Co. will be choosing two people for each show to be part of the Serpent & Co. street team to help promote the brand at Warped Tour (free passes included.) What should the participating street team members expect from this experience?
Tim: We basically just want people to have a great day with us. We want them to be able to still enjoy all the experiences of Warped Tour as well as a little extra fun with us. They'll be doing a little bit of promo with us, but we might even be doing some signings at our tent so they may even get to meet a few people!
11. Will all the items featured on the site be available to purchase at Warped Tour? (Such as the ones that are currently sold out on the website?)
Tim: We aren't selling every item from our store at Warped Tour, but there will actually be a few exclusives on the Tour which will be awesome, so expect to see a few new items there!
12. Overall, when wearing Serpent & Co., how do you want your customers to feel?
Tim: We want people to feel comfortable, fashionable, but most importantly we want them to feel like they can wear it with pride without anybody judging them and to know we love them for wearing something that's so important to us!
Interview by Melanie Gomez
Want to grab some Serpent & Co. merch right now? Click HERE to check out the store!
You can also follow them on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat: @serpentandco
Do you want to stay up-to-date on everything that happens in the alternative music scene & culture?
Follow us on our social media and we'll keep you up-to-date!
We are Strife Magazine, a group of passionate alternative music lovers who wanted to do more than just listen to the music! So we started an online magazine including a daily updated newsfeed, reviews and photography!
Do you have any tips, complaints or do you want to get involved with Strife Magazine?
Email us at Strifemagazine@gmail.com